July City Updates
COLLEGE STATION UPDATE
- 20 World Market tote bags distributed in the club
- 20 fun summer color flip flops and hand sanitizers were given out in the club.
- 1 tray of yummy cookies were made for outreach by our New Life Baking Team
Tonight was a night of bittersweet transition: Kellie Gibson (moving to Waco next month) said goodbye to several dear friends/dancers. It was great for me (Jean Marie) as the new City Team Leader to see the impact of Kellie’s deep commitment to loving people where they are...LOVE truly changes everyone involved. These dancers love and respect Kellie as much as she does each of them.
During our outreach, we connected with a new dancer and listened to her story. When she asked who we were, we heard another dancer explain the heart of JSL...the vision to awaken hope and empower change is tenfold more powerful when coming from the mouth of another dancer.
- A former dancer is enduring difficult times due to a bad decision in her past.
- More monthly supporters so we can reach our city budget
- Discernment and wisdom for Jean Marie as she is meeting with current and potential volunteer and church partnerships
- Kellie as she continues to say “see you later” to friendships from the club, JSL and her church in College Station as she prepares for her new adventures in Waco with JSL
- 185 pairs of Old Navy Flip Flops delivered to 4 Clubs
- 100 individual jars of homemade salsa & corn chips delivered to 3 clubs
- 6 numbers exchanged between club team members and new dancers
- Club & Security Team met 2 new Managers
- 11 new men & women joined prayer team for the first time.
Friday was a beautiful day in Dallas, but the sky turned very dark as soon as our team climbed into the cars. Halfway to the clubs, we were hit by strong winds and a torrential downpour. As we pulled up to the first club, we texted our Prayer Team and asked them to pray that the storm would not affect the night.
The clubs were slow, but the dressing rooms were packed with girls. Our team was able to connect with both old and new dancers. We were able to spend a longer amount of time in each club connecting with dancers and staff. What we thought would have been a dreary night turned into laughter and great conversation. Several dancers needed the extra intentional time with someone to listen. The circumstances we were so worried about allowed for vulnerability.
- That connections outside the club would continue to grow during the month of July (as we are off from outreach)
- Leaders in Dallas would step up in volunteer roles to help more extensively.
- Community Members would be willing to offer time, talent, money & influence towards the House of Love.
- A Chick Fil A would donate trays for August Outreach (4-6 Large Trays Needed)
- Dallas would gain more church partnerships.
- People would continue to support my personal salary.
- 4 Go Team members visited the dressing room
- 2 Security Team men engaged in conversation with 1 new assistant manager
- 30 beach totes with flip flops, chips and salsa were given to dancers and waitresses
- 3 dancers asked for prayer inside the dressing room
This month’s outreach was LOUD! We were enthusiastically greeted by both new dancers and established friends. It was incredible to see the girls we already know quickly become our advocates to the hesitant new girls: they explained that JSL really cares and our team can be trusted.
The girls were extremely open and honest with us this month about struggles and hard questions they have about church...immediately, it became clear that they have a lot of serious hurt in this area. Would you pray for us as we press into these relationships?
- Boldness for our dancers to meet with us
- Unity and diversity in our teams
- Consistent and passionate volunteers
- Our Go team as we navigate tough conversation this month
SAN ANTONIO UPDATE
- 75 flip flops were distributed at the clubs
- 75 Bath and Body Works hand sanitizers were given as gifts
Over the past four months, the club team has formed a close friendship with a woman name Ally. Ally is a believer and just received news that she will begin a new job through a life insurance company!
On Friday night, Ally began to tell a couple of our club team women about the physical issues she has suffered with over the last several years. Melanie and I encouraged her and asked to pray over her, which she gladly agreed to. After we finished praying, she unfolded a story about another dancer from the club who we never got the chance to meet. Ally explained that after a JSL outreach several months ago, a dancer came up to her and asked what we believe and why we were in the dressing room. Ally shared the Gospel and explained JSL’s intentions for coming into the club. This girl was so moved that she shortly after left the club, found another job, began going to church, and is now going back to school to become a kindergarten teacher! This story made it evident that God is moving in the clubs in greater ways than we see.
From Melanie (new San Antonio CTL): As this was my first outreach, I was excited and encouraged to see the JSL Club Team go in and love on these wonderful women! Our volunteer teams are so passionate about the relationships they are building, and the women greeted us with open arms. Even the club managers and owners welcomed our team! That seemed strange to me, but someone explained that our team’s presence always lifts the dancers spirits. One managers expressed a desire to do a fundraiser for us! We will be following up soon.
- The San Antonio team continues to meet with women outside of the club
- Job opportunities for women who are transitioning out of the commercial sex industry
- Partnerships in San Antonio
- Our House of Love network would increase in San Antonio
- 3 clubs received gifts and food
- Chips & homemade salsa were a huge hit
- Flip Flops were delivered according to dancers’ requested sizes
Business was normal and all staff were open and friendly! We met a few new dancers and reconnected with old friends. We met a new waitress who the dancers identified as a 'house mom'. The security team also met and had a good conversation with the new bouncer. We also found out that one of our friends is reportedly out of the clubs completely and has a full time job!
- Pray for church Partnerships to Grow
- Pray for outreach to be covered in months to come.
- Pray for growth through transition of leadership and new team members